Monday, March 3, 2008

The God Particle

This arcticle interested me for a couple reasons. I thought it was interesting how people would spend enormous ammounts of effort and money to find something that may not exist. Obviously, its a very cool process, and i think its really facinating how people are getting closer to figure out how we came to be, and what we're made of and such. I think it was marcus who said something like that in his post. On the other hand, as melissa I was a little confused as to what they would do if the did find Higgs and proved it existed. I know a major reason we learn science and why some specific types of science are based on human curiosity and the want to find out how things happen, but if millions of dollars are being spent on this, i'm not so sure. I could have missed something in the article, but it didnt seem like there was any really practical used for the Higgs, other than human interest. Maybe some countries who are doing the major experimentation in this field have a lot more money than ours does at the moment. Because right now, as Madelyn was saying, our country is probably going into a recession, i think there are a lot more pressing matters for out money than finding elementary particles. Another thing i thought was interesting was as Becca said, how there are more parts to the atom, like quarks and gluons. Before i had alwasy thought that there were protons neutrons and electrons, and that was it. I think it would be interesting to learn more about those sort of things.

3 comments:

bonqueesha said...

i like that you found the definitions of quarks and gluons. I didn't know what they ment before reading those links. I agree with you and many other people including madelyn that the money might be being wasted on this science. I didn't get any other reason for the significance of the higgs besides human curiosity either.

Anonymous said...

I also like how you took the time to find what quarks and gluons were. I also like how you said that this may not even exist. With everything that is going on it feels like it already has been proven to be true.

Ender said...

Yeah, I think that it would be cool to find something like that, but we may not find any practical purposes for it. I say let them do the hard work of discovery. Good post.