Monday, February 4, 2008

Favorite Activity

I really really like to run. Some people think that this is crazy, and i admit, it is sorta crazy. I don't really get it. There's nothing 'fun' about doing intervals in 90 degree weather where you start seeing spots. Thats about where i start complaining about my shin splints, or how hot it is, or how thirsty i am. Every step makes your body ache, and every mile feels like an eternity. Theres nothing fun about racing and how your heart feels about ready to explode. But even though it hurts like heck, and that it can be disapointing and plain crazy, its so incredibly worth it. I love passing people in a race. I love the feeling after a good race where you feel so accomplished and like nothing in the world could bring you down. I love that there are people on my team that know me so well from running miles upon miles together, that i would do just about anything for them. I love the feeling when youre finishing a hard race where you're so weak, but as your finishing you feel so fast. I really like to feel fast. Maybe this doesn't make sense, but i'm really not sure how to say this so i tried :]

14 comments:

Smeber said...

I personally think it's ridiculous to run just for the sake of running but i can understand about the feeling of accomplishment and making bonds with friends who share a common interest with you. I suppose someone has to be the crazy runner that makes everyone feel better about their own sports so way to take the job. (JK)

Anonymous said...

Yeah, you are crazy. Just kidding, I get what you are saying. I think.

BVoight said...

I still think you're crazy but if you look at me, it is obvious that I have never really run for pleasure. I will only run if someone is chasing me, or if it involves another sport where I can stop every 10 seconds or so! It sounds to me though, that your not really passionate about the running so much as you are about the benefits you get from running. Is running the only avenue to achieve these things?

subbu said...

I get it... you basically like being fast and beating people.

okay, thats good i guess but i still find it hard that you can like running for milesss. I would be okay with 1 mile, maybe 2 but nor 6 or 7 that you track people run. thats just torture.

Ashley said...

yeah, i agree with everyone. you're basically a crazy fool :)
haha just kidding amy. i totally get what youre saying

kdf said...

I think you did a pretty good job explaining why running could be fun. I would probably never run cross country myself. I think it's amazing how sports can bond people though.

Megan Schro said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Megan Schro said...

amy i get what your saying.
in soccer i love striking down the feild and whipping pastpeople and feeling the wind on my face.
you run because you love the feeling. you run because you love seeing everything blur by. i get it.
and the feeling of winning is great too :)

Chelsey said...

i get what you were saying. i run track and although im not super fast and dont always win i still love the feeling i get when i've finished a race, beat my own time, or ran past someone else. i still find it crazy how you run mile after mile after mile.

031093 said...

I have always kind of wanted to be a runner just for the feeling of accomplishment you have after you're done, but I've never really done it. I admire the fact that you haven't given it up, even when it gets really hard:)

Ender said...

Yeah, I love the feeling of finishing the mile run, of course in first place, the feeling of accomplishment of what you just did. I agree that it is a benefit to health and social life, but I personally would not like the idea of taking up running. I wouldn't mind it if I had been running for a year or so, but starting is the hardest part. I would advise you to keep it up, not just because you enjoy it, but for the benefits also.

Anonymous said...

Personaly i know we are all crazy. But it is not ridiculous to run for the sake of running. Well...at first it is... but by the time third year comes around it is amazing. Anyone that says that running is dumb and pointless they should have come and watch sections in eith grade. YOu know what i mean amy. :)

Luke VanGeest said...

Amy to answer your question, no. Playing my guitar relieves pressure so that whenever I play guitar I don't have any pressure. So it wouldn't really matter either way.

Adam said...

Have to agree a 100%. I love to run. Pretty much for many reasons that you do. You should check out adam meyer's blog.