Monday, January 28, 2008

Change/Models

Many things that we know of are far to big or small or complicated for us to comprehend. The atom is infinately small, and without models, how would we have even come up with theories of how it worked or what was in it, if there was anything at all? Likewise, space in general is far too vast for many of us to comprehend. While some of us think that the earth is enormous, hearing facts about Jupiter compared to our home planet, might seem overwhelming and unbelieveable. And even then, to learn that 80x Jupiter would be needed to make a single star. And the fact that the number of stars could possibly be infinate, is for me at least, way too hard to wrap my mind around. This is what makes models so useful. While I can't really comprehend the enormity of our sun, and then that there are stars much much huger, models help. Like in the solar system model in the picture, it helps to how big the planets are in relation to each other. Like Troy said, models help us understand things that are on a larger scale. Also, i think they help us understand things on a smaller scale. Models also help in making sure things will work in a final product, before just going at it. They are sort of like doing a rough draft. This is sort of like how Melissa said about working out details and making sure they will work. So while i was thinking about what i would write for this blog i thought about the orbitols and the baloons models Mr.Voight showed the class. I had a meet that day so i didnt see it, and when i got the worksheet the next day i was super confused, but everyone who was there seemed to understand easily. Like Meghan was saying on this topic, they made is a lot clearer for her. I think this is just one example proving how useful models can be.

3 comments:

Dominique is Amazing said...

I really like how you posted a picture to help us understand what you were talking about. I also really liked you're concept of the sun. I don't think that any one of us can really comprehend it's huge size, power, and effect on us, our world, and our lives. Overall a really great job!

subbu said...

Good job. I like the picture. It does help. Worth a thousand words i guess.

Ender said...

I'd like to know how you got that pic on the post.