Monday, January 14, 2008

Global Warming: Fact or Fiction?

In all the sources Mr.Voight gave us, i think they all had some very good points. This is why i'm so torn on the issue of global warming and what should be done about it. In this one they talked about how 11 of the past 12 years have been the warmest on record. Well that seems pretty indisputable, dosent it? Based on that information alone it would seem obvious that that the climate is changing and that it is getting worse. If this were the case, then it must be our fault, after all, our use of fossil fuels and our greenhouse gas emissions are unprecedented. But see, this is where i get confused. I believe that the climate is changing, and i believe that humans have done much harm to the environment. But then also, sceintists on the opposite platform of the global warming debate say that it is natural, and that there is 'nothing to worry about'. They say that it is part of a natural cycle, and that the media has hyped a nonexistant issue into global paranoia. The fact that the earths surface is warming, but the atmosphere is not greatly conflicts with the greenhouse gas theory. As well haven't there been climate cycles of warming and cooling in the past? Like becca mentioned in her blog, this is not a new idea, and the debate has been argued before, and yet our society has still managed to survive. Whether or not global warming is fact or fiction, i think that i have come to the conclusion that it is warming, and that we are partially responsible, but also i believe that climate cycles of warming and cooling are natural. Either way, i think that global warming brings up other issues that, whether or not they will bring on the apocolypse, are still important. We do use obsene ammounts of fossil fuels and this is hurting the environment. Although the media probably has exaggerated global warming was past its actual effects, it has brought about new innovations in fuel that are useful, not only in that they are less harmful to the environment, but also beacuse our fossil fuel supplies are limited. When the day comes that using out regular gasoline is so limited that it is impractical to buy, having other options will be very valuable. Likewise, if global warming is causing people to think more about doing 'little things' like recycling and biking t o places rather than driving, well then, its a win-win situation. Even if it turns out that global warming is natural and not dangerous, doing those sorts of things are never bad. If this publicity brings about those undeniably good things, then so be it. I'm not sure if what i'm saying is contradiction myself, but it makes sense to me, so hopefully you'll undersatnd!

6 comments:

Luke VanGeest said...

Since you went so in-depth into your thoughts that it totally makes sense. Yours makes sense with you taking both sides and I can understand that even if GW isn't actually real, us as a world just helping out the environment is good.

BVoight said...

Amy, you have a really well thought out explanation. I agree with your statement that it is not bad to get people to think more environmentally friendly. However, I don't really think that we, the media/government/whomever, should falsely scare people into it. I totally agree with finding other sources of energy. However, the reason I think we should do that deals with energy independence, national security, and the economy and nothing to do with "saving the environment." Besides, I like leaving the choices to the people and the free market. If governments mandate a switch to renewable sources or stricter standards, it will cause a major recession.

Smeber said...

I agree with your post almost perfectly. Mine is sort of similiar but I just leaned towards the against global warming being caused by human side and didn't really give a fair acknoledgement to the other side. Yours was really detailed for both sides though which gave me some info I sort of ignored before. I also wrote in my blog about how it is good to research new things that will save energy and resources but we shouldn't have to push them by saying it will prevent global warming.

Anonymous said...

I like how you clearly stated your opinion even though you haven't made up you mind yet. You clearly stated the goods and bads of each side and explained your opinion very openly and honestly. Some of your facts i didn't think about in depth until you said your opinion on them. For example the fact that 11 out of 12 years have been the hottest in record made me think more on what i beleve.

subbu said...

I like it, i agree pretty much 100%. It makes sense. Global warming or not, helping out the environment can't be a bad thing.

I didn't know that 11 out of the last 12 years were the warmest in recorded history. ... . Well, the non-believers could just say that earth has existed for billions of years and it doesn't matter.

Just giving both sides of the story.

Anonymous said...

I agree for the most part, except I don't think being the warmest years on record is a very good argumen. This is because we haven't been recording for very long compared to the earths life time.