Wednesday, January 9, 2008
Change and the Electromagnetic Force
Electromagnetic force, as many of people have already mentioned in their posts, is basically the attraction between two oppositely charged particles. On a less scientific definition however, it cold be generally summed up as opposites attract. This relates to many things on an atomic level, from how their nucleus stays together and how the atoms bond together in ionic, covalent, or metallic bonding. In our lives however, this still affects us on a bigger scale. In a literal sense, magnets affect us much in our lives. Like Kendall and Troy said, magnets are a very obvious example of electromagnetic force, they are attracted to the opposite charge of the other magnet, but repell the other side. They also affect us on a daily basis. Not only are they used to stick on the fridge, but they are also used to keep the fridge latched and shut. They are also used much in industrial uses and many other things. I sort of disagree with what some of my peers have mentioned about how men and women attract because they are opposites. I mean yeah, they are opposites and they do attract, but i'm not sure that because not all men are attracted to all women and vice versa that it is the best example. I liked the example that Troy used about compasses because they are extremely relevant in our lives. Without compasses we would be lost! (bad pun) But really, they are very necessesary, especially in things like navigation. I thought it was interesting how Adam compared it to the solar system. It seems like a good example, because like what Mr. Voight was talking about today the issues with gravity seem similar to those with electromagnetic force. Without electromagnetic force, atoms would not bond and we would not exist!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I like how you came to the conclusion that without what we are learning about now; atoms. We would not exist.
Good points. I also disagree with a man being attracted to a woman because they are opposite. I think that people are attracted because they are alike and have things in common.
Yeah, that, I have to agree, pretty much sums it up, and I definetely agree with Amy on the male-female attraction. Katie also pointed out that it's because they have things in common. Let me say that g** and le*** people are not opposites, yet come together as a couple. This is a rather nauseating but true example.
yes, i agree. Your thoughts about men and woman were funny. I agree with this point, that has nothing to do with electromagnetic force. Who said that anyway?
Post a Comment